Recreational sports, all-star attitude

By JT Cummings, Staff Writer

Volley, set, spike—kill.  Header, pass, juke—goal.  Snap, handoff, rush—touchdown.

Eighty percent of Olivet’s students get their game on in intramural sports. With a variety of activities, including indoor 4×4 volleyball, outdoor soccer, powderpuff football, wiffleball, and NFL sponsored Punt, Pass, & Kick, students have options when it comes to sports.

“We have two leagues usually for each sport: the competitive league and the recreational league. Rec league is usually more laid back, but there is always great competition,” said Kolby Meador, a referee for ONU’s intramural sports. “Our goal for intramurals is to provide a competitive atmosphere, and I’d say we accomplish that very well.”

Meador has been working as a ref for intramurals for five semesters, since fall of 2012. “It’s the best job to have on campus. I absolutely love doing it,” Meador said.

With a competitive atmosphere, “guys typically get into it more than girls,” said Meador. There are a few girls who engage in the competitive side of it. “Grisy Guzman gets at it for football,” said Meador.

Senior Grisy Guzman has been participating in intramurals for all four years. Through out her career Guzman has been very physical and even been a part of some torn ACLs.

“The issue is I am a solid person. It’s science. The force that I bring and the force that they bring doesn’t work out [for them],” said Guzman. “It’s not like I intend to harm them. It’s the spirit of the game.”

Grisy Guzman plays to win. “Freshman teams come in with mascara wings looking on point like they are about to go to the club— not realizing that I am about to hit them. But they eventually get the message,” said Guzman.

The intramurals website, www.imleagues.com/olivet, says that 80% of Olivet students partake in these recreational sports leagues. So what about the other 20%?

Angela Vyncke has a different opinion of intramurals— “If people are getting hurt I don’t think it’s doing what its supposed to do. It’s supposed to be for fun.” Intramurals at Olivet are just too intense for Vyncke. “I’m just not about that life,” said Vyncke.

As a former social work major, Vyncke can see the good in intramurals. “I think organized sports are a good way of socialization and learning discipline and integrity,” said Vyncke. “But I get that other places.”

It’s “ridiculous” how many people get hurt.  “Its hard to take the competitive edge out of anything even if its just for fun,” senior Mary Bass said.

“I think [intramurals] are fun, but I wouldn’t want to risk getting really hurt just for playing a game. It’s cool to be competitive,” said junior Marie Sheets. “It would suck to be out for a sport that doesn’t even count as collegiate.”

The danger of getting injured is a real issue in intramurals at Olivet, yet students still play. Last year during an indoor soccer game, things started to get “heated,” as junior Ryan Lutz put it. During this heated game Lutz took a shot on goal and hit a girl directly in the face causing her nose to bleed.

“When I take shots the world shakes. I basically start earthquakes,” bragged Lutz. As for the girl with blood on her face, “you gotta take what’s coming to you,” Lutz said.

Lutz has been playing intramurals since his freshman year. “I’ve won seven times, but it depends on the sport. I’m usually the captain of those winning teams. HEYYO,” he said.

“[You] get a lot of people who were [sport’s] stars in high school. They were the very best at their school of 50 students. Then they don’t make the team at Olivet,” so they play intramurals said Lutz. Intramurals “gets a lot of people who think they are really good but really aren’t,” Lutz added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *